Tuesday, July 20, 2010


For the folks who linked here from the mechanical blog, where I was following a link from an article about a medical device called a diathermy machine (made by AT&T) that microwaved your insides ... I saw it at an abandoned farm lying in a pile of junk ... I kicked it and it started to tick! But that's not what I posted this to tell you about. I'll tell you about that later. Here's a sketch of how my rotating block bow-string release works. The trigger is sprung so as to fall into the square notch as you roll the thing along with your thumb. You stretch the string back, drop it into the u-shaped notch, and the trigger moves pretty smoothly and parallel to the face against which it holds the block, so it releases cleanly and rolls forward, and the string slides out nicely. The bolt was just a stick with some light plastic fins -- oops, feathers -- and an eye hook to carry the kite string aloft, up and over the high rafters in the atrium of my school. As I said, having this thing work out distracted me from all the firearm triggers I was also sketching at the time, with the actual intent of maybe actually mocking up a working proof-of-concept model that would only be a few inches of .22 barrel from being an unlicensed homemade firearm. Which would be unlawful. So. Guitars and effect pedals are almost as fascinating and won't put my eye out if they don't work right, so I'll wander over there to the DIY audio site if my Fetzer-valve into Matsumin twin-caster arrangement works.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 4:40 AM, Blogger texascom said...

Jonathan, regarding your crossbow trigger that is illustrated, what do you think about if the trigger and nut were all one piece? I know spring(s) would have to be used but I was wondering if using a spring would be strong enough to hold the nut in place with the tension of the cocked string in place until it is fired.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home